Just a follow up post on my meetings this morning. I first met with the K-school principal to give her a copy of our psychology's report and to submit a letter requesting early admission to first grade. (It's not been done in our district ... at least not recently, if ever).

I then had a meeting with the director of pupil services (basically the person that manages the GT process) where we reviewed the report and we submitted additional portfolio work in support of the request for evaluation and to also inform her that we're requesting entry into first grade.

It went very well!

The K-school principal was disappointed insofar as she was looking forward to having DS as a student and had already picked out a teacher. The director let us know that basically the request for early admission goes through her and that today she'll write up the letter in support of admission into first. It has to go up to the board level, but the impression that I had is that they take her recommendation. She herself said DS "would be bored out of his mind in Kindergarten". We provided a copy of the report ahead of time and I know she read it because she had highlighted several areas. (She said it was a very good report, which is good.)

We won't have to take another IQ test. Instead the school's psychologist will just write his report referring to our current report. So that's good. We won't shorten the time the process takes, but that is probably okay as DS gets adjusted to school for that first month.

So overall, it was a very positive experience. We should get the "official" notification before the 26th.

JB