Originally Posted by Pemberley
Fast forward - Developmental opto earlier this year said DD has double vision she can force together but it doesn't come naturally, has no near vision, each eye sees a different image so her brain alternates turning off one or the other, one eye is 20/32 the other 20/40, has outstanding distance and peripheral vision which further distracts her brain trying to sort out the images, etc.

Keep in mind that DD has migraines and 40+ points difference between her verbal comprehension and visual perception scores so there were obvious concerns. YMMV but I would be sure to check the ped opthomologist's position on the validity of VT before putting full faith in him/her.

My DS9 has had vision issues from the beginning, and we started taking him to a ped ophthalmologist before a year old. I will second that they tend to believe surgery and lenses fix vision issues and aren't necessarily VT supporters (and in fact, may be strongly opposed to it as quackery). That said, I still am on the fence myself, and curious. DS's alignment issues returned a year ago as blurred vision that was resolved by adding a bifocal to his strong farsighted Rx (his current physician is an specialized optometrist).

However, we just recently, separately, got a diagnosis of DCD (so now I'm revisiting posts on this forum!), and I'm so wishing there were a point person who could just manage his whole being, the gifted, the vision, the anxiety, the motor issues. Guess that will have to be me!

On a related note, I myself had alignment issues from birth (no distance issues, though), and only focus with one eye (I can switch it myself, on demand), but my left eye focuses, while the other is purely peripheral. Brains are amazing at compensating and finding a solution. Too late for me on VT, though.