Originally Posted by eco21268
This does help, a lot, thank you! The problem with finding a social skills group is the only ones I know about are for kids who have pretty severe cognitive and/or behavioral issues and that's not what we're dealing with at this point. There needs to be one for highly-verbal kids WITH their peers. My son is quite sweet with younger children and wonderful with adults. It's interaction with his own tribe that seems to cause most of the problems.
My son did a social skills group in 6th & 7th grade that was with other very verbal pre-teens. It was through a local university and for kids with Aspergers and ADHD. But even though DS hasn't been diagnosed with either they accepted him into the program because he was having acute enough social problems at the time to qualify. I feel it did help. It was for kids who were highly verbal and one of the other kids was HG and taking H.S. math and wanted to talk about nothing but math & computer programming.

Not sure where you would go to find a program like this. The program my son went was attached to a ADHD center at a local university. It's probably easier to find if you are in a large metropolitan area. This group was specifically for pre-teen BOYS. They did a lot of playing board games and word games and it didn't feel like therapy to my son.