Originally Posted by eco21268
I am not sure how to teach my son not to say things like this to his teachers. He does not seem to have any understanding of how to interact without being offensive.

Any advice? It seems like he needs direct instruction on every possible scenario--what to say, what not to say, how his behavior is perceived, etc. When I try to talk to him about these things--his underlying cluelessness becomes more and more apparent.

There was a story (I believe in Aesop's fable) about a tortoise and the birds.

Once upon atime, a tortoise lived in a lake. He was very friendly and he was friends with many animals including birds who came to drink water from the lake. One summer, it was so hot and the lake was getting dry. And two birds who came over to drink said to the tortoise that there was a large lake several miles away but it was too far for him to walk. The tortoise had an idea. He asked the tow birds to carry a stick and he would hold on to the stick with his mouth and that way, they could take him to the new lake. The birds agreed and they flew the tortoise over. On the way to the lake, they passed a small village and when the kids saw them, they cheered and praised the birds about how smart they were and how they thought outside the box, etc... The tortoise got quite angry because it was his idea. So, he opened his mouth to protest. You know what happened after this....

The moral of the story is some of the things you say may get you in trouble. Sometimes, it is wise to keep it to yourself.

Sometimes, I would change the contents a little bit to get the moral that fits the situation. (Sometimes, I had to do it because I do not remember all the detail) blush And change the wording like talkative to friendly, etc.... so that it is more palatable.

Hope that helps.