Originally Posted by eco21268
All of this is sadly familiar. I begin to wonder at myself, sometimes, because I can't argue with the logic of "didn't learn anything" when it could be true. smirk It's almost like we have to raise them to be dishonest/manipulative.

Well, no, just to be careful what they say to whom. Everyone has to do this if they want to live in society; people with poor radar have to be extra careful.

My son's art teacher gives them worksheets where they are to respond to various famous paintings, similarly subjective. In response to questions like "How does this painting make you feel?" he might answer, "This painting does not make me feel anything." In that class, at least, the requirement is just that the student writes a complete sentence.

I hate these.

We are working with DS on "your response does not have to be true, just has to meet the requirement of the assignment." This helps some.

It dawns on me slowly that the reason the teachers have been unable to give me specifics re: behavior this year is because it is a sort of non-specific issue, hard to quantify.

Social skills business is something for which most people have no vocabulary. But you're building good skills.

And cammom, that social skills class sounds terrific. There is an Australian curriculum that does this too (Secret Agent Society).