Originally Posted by cammom
eco- If you haven't done so (apologies if I've overlooked this), a full evaluation that involves a full language evaluation would be helpful. My DS has had a neuropsych for ADHD, but prior to that he underwent a full speech and language evaluation (including two school evaluations). It identified deficits in social understanding. In fact, it was the language evaluation that prompted us to seek a neuropsych because I suspected DS had ADHD and it was contributing heavily to his social issues.

I was shocked to learn that a kid in the 99th percentile of verbal reasoning could have language impairments, but was told that these skill sets are different. Anecdotally, ADHD, language deficits and a gifted IQ can look like HFA, enough to one wonder. In fact the language evaluation and neuropsych both completely ruled it out.

If your son has language deficits, social skills therapy and speech therapy can help.
So far, I've not managed to convince SPED to evaluate him. He is having a neuropsychological evaluation on May 12 with a psych whose special interest is gifted/autism. I hope it helps. I don't know if the district will automatically evaluate if I provide medical diagnosis. They have not been very responsive so far.

I think my son is probably "hyperlexic" if that is a real thing. This has probably not helped anything. His school performance (both grades and standardized testing) have been strong, up until this year--first year at MS and he's fallen apart. Almost entirely EF stuff. I haven't seen any evidence of struggles with rigor (it's a FT gifted program, but really just acceleration). I asked the district if I could see his subtests on IQ but they are not forthcoming (was thinking there might be something there).

I don't see any evidence of a SLD in language (he is a prolific writer, speaks well, etc.) but the thing is: I don't know ANYTHING about language delays. His seems social. Is that a SLD?

I honestly don't know what it takes to get a full evaluation from the school district. 504 coordinator did intervene and ordered OT evaluation, but it was pretty much a token exercise, not substantial.

I'm blathering now.:) I just had a really strange conversation with my son on the way to school, in re: the detention, etc. This is how it went:

DS: Once the teacher explained to me what I was doing that got me in trouble, I was okay with it. She asked me if I care about detention, and I said no, I truly don't, because it's a piece of paper.
(He explained that since it was reasonable, it doesn't bother him anymore).

Me: Do you feel embarrassed when these things happen in class?

DS: No, for some reason embarrassment isn't in my data bank.

Me: Well, maybe that's good. It keeps you from feeling upset.

DS: I have been researching autism online. [This one surprised me--I haven't used that word, exactly.] I see that I have a lot of these traits, but the thing that doesn't fit is that I am not social awkward and I love meeting people.

Me: Well, that is a stereotype. I lot of people with autistic traits don't have that issue.

DS: I hope I am not autistic.

Me: If you have traits, it just helps us understand you better and know what to put in place to support you. It doesn't change anything about who you are.

DS seemed completely satisfied with that response. His language is so different from mine. Everything filters through cognition.

I guess I hope he doesn't have autism but he has enough related issues that it's probably the same difference. I hope that having some sort of solid diagnosis helps me with the school.

I am sorry I'm using this forum as my online journal. It's difficult processing all of this. Seems very sudden--but I guess it's not, really. We've just managed really well until now.