On the challenge of respecting the teacher:

One of the conversations I often have with my secondary students is about how one cannot allow the personal conflict between you and the person in front of you at this point in time to interfere with reaching your own long-term goals. We talk about how, if you feel like this teacher is overly harsh, or out to get you, attacking them first, or reacting with defiance or disrespect, is not going to help you get to the place you want to be, where you'll be looking back at your time with them in the rear-view mirror. What is going to be more functional for your big picture? The short-term gratification of bucking a difficult teacher or peer, or defying their low expectations of you by becoming a successful, whole human being?

One doesn't have to like or respect this teacher, administrator, or peer, but it is in one's own best interest not to allow personal feeling to become an obstacle to one's own life goals.

Another conversation regards distinguishing between respect for the role/office (teacher, principal, president, etc.), and respect for the person inhabiting the role.

And, finally, my personal belief is that there is something worthy of respect, or, minimally, sympathy, in every person. With my own children, I try to convey the complexity and contradiction of humans--not so easily categorized as "good guys" or "bad guys". And even if one finds it challenging to locate a spark of virtue in a particular person, one can always mourn the lost child.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...