Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by Bostonian
The traditional view is that children owe their parents obedience not just because the parents are older and wiser but because the children are dependent. No emergency needs to be invoked. In our house we don't eat food X because it is against the family religion. We don't need to justify this restriction to our children, and in fact it cannot be logically justified. Why should some children not eat pork, others not eat beef, and others not eat meat at all for religious reasons or because their parents believe for non-religious reasons that eating meat is wrong? It's because the parents are putting the food on the table, for which the children should be grateful.

Feeding your children is sorta required by law, so I'm not sure why they should be grateful you didn't violate their legally-protected rights.
Because food, shelter, and clothing are bought with money earned by the parents.

But I chose to have kids knowing I would have to feed, clothe and shelter them. Children should mostly obey but they should get an explanation even if it is later.