I read (I haven't the foggiest notion where, so don't ask me for a source) that a loto of the genetic information that influences intelligence is located on the X chromosome so boys inherit most of their cognitive traits from their mothers side, whereas girls may inherit equally from their mother and father.

In DS8's case, we happen to know that he has inherited my fathers X chromosome, because he is color blind like him, and his cognitive traits remind me very much of my father - a fairly equal distribution between verbal and nonverbal strengths, with interest and passion skewed strongly (even more strongly actually, probably gets that from his father) towards the sciences.

Due to his odd testing history, we have three wildly varying scores for him, from average to EG, but I'd say he is definitely HG+, like I'd think my father must be. DH and I grew up in a time and place where testing for a healthy child was unthinkable, so we can only guess as to what our various scores might be (or might have been, before three pregnancies and three high needs kids and the resultant sleep deprivation fried my brains).

I know that I skew strongly towards the verbal and musical intelligence, with DD being somewhat like me, but with a totally different personality, and DH skews strongly towards the nonverbal side, unlike DD, but her personality is definitely inherited from his side of the family. (I must have been so compliant as a kid it was unreal, whereas my kids, and most definitily DD, are NOT). I'd guess wed probably both score MG altogether, with HG+ scores in our areas of strength and rather lower scores in the others.

Finding out what DS2 can and cannot do will be really interesting - he has a major physical disability and Is speech delayed, but performs far ahead on nonverbal tasks. In his case, we believe he is not color blind so it's my mothers X chromosome he has inherited.

Someone correct me if I have messed up the genetics here - as I have mentioned, I am NOT the scientist in the family.

Last edited by Tigerle; 01/24/15 03:26 PM.