DH and I are both probably gifted. We both had high SAT scores and were always the 'smart' kids in class and had good scholarships to college. I was tested with a 145 IQ when I was like 6 but I have no idea how accurate that might be. I have a PhD in Neuroscience but currently stay home with my son. DH tested out of all the math possible and used to program his calculator to do calculus; he's a great software engineer and has been programming in some shape or form for basically his whole life. DH has an amazing memory, while I think I'm better with general figuring things out types of thinking. My long-term memory kind of stinks. Both my DH and I are the 'smartest' kids in our families but the other siblings are intelligent as well.

I think I inherited most of my intelligence from my dad's side of the family - they have a ton of brilliant people who unfortunately also struggle with drug and alcohol addiction (probably depression?). They have that spark of curiosity about things though, and most of them read deeply and have strong artistic/creative traits. My dad escaped the worst of the environment and I think he's totally brilliant although he didn't finish college. He's well-respected in his field (deep-sea oil exploration), reads and learns outside of work and is just overall impressive to me, especially considering his background. My mom is also quite smart and had good grades in school, etc. Both of my parents grew up in impoverished backgrounds.

So far my DS (who is only 3.5) reminds me a lot of my husband. He's got the crazy memory (which is so far directed towards learning car makes and models) but shows less interest in reading than I evidently showed at his age. Right now the plan is to try to keep him age-matched with peers so that he can get along socially but we'll see how that goes.