Originally Posted by indigo
(did she just roll her eyes at me??? What did she just mutter under her breath???). Help!
For some girls, hormones may start to play a role at this age. This may be easier said than done, but since we are role models for our kids you may wish to be sure you do not react, but rather respond and coach.

For example, "It's good that you're exercising independent thinking. You seem to be disagreeing with something I said? Rolling your eyes (or muttering) does not express yourself well. Please take a moment to put your thoughts into words." You can help her get to the bottom of it, possibly asking gently probing questions. Thinking things through, being mindful, and taking time to reflect can help a kiddo determine the reason(s) behind her feelings, the relative range from temporary to permanent of her feelings, and the size of various feelings in perspective. Sometimes it may resemble a game of 20 questions, but it can worth it to teach a child to stay in the conversation until something is adequately expressed/understood/resolved.
People of all ages are sometimes moody, and it may be that at certain ages people are especially moody. Almost by definition, someone's moodiness does not have a completely rational explanation, so I wonder if trying to understand the causes of it are fruitful. Moods cannot be controlled, but outward behavior usually can be, so I think the focus should be on reminding the child that certain behavior is unacceptable rather than on understanding the root cause.