What about offering a sabbatical? NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is coming up, and they have a Young Writer's program where kids sign up and set their own writing goals. What if you used November as a break for her to work through all her rich imaginative stuff while putting some of it down in novella form - and at the same time, start her on a walking/running/jumping routine, so that by the end of the month she would potentially have set her thoughts down, so might feel that she doesn't need to keep revisiting them continuously (I did this a lot as a kid too, and then started writing, and writing everything down was therapeutic for me, because then I wasn't stressed about what I might have forgotten between yesterday and today, I used to panic about all of it, and can remember waiting for "me time" and feeling rather anxious poking at that part of my mind, wondering how much I forgot).

What also helped me was to get a little ideas notebook that I carried around for a while and every time I had a great idea (to my mind anyway), I would jot it down. Then it was "safe" and I didn't have to spend so much time running it through my mind over and over and I could come back to it later instead.

The Young Writer's program from NaNoWriMo offers quite a lot to kids who take part. They also offer t-shirts and other merchandise if you make your target (even if not) - was just thinking maybe you could buy her a shirt if she makes her target within the month and she's settled into the new, more physical routine as well?
It might be easier for her to then settle back into "normal" academics afterwards as she'll have worked through all her daydreaming time type stuff, and will also be a little more tired due to the physical stuff?

Last edited by M2iChances; 10/07/14 12:10 AM.

“...million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”
-Terry Pratchett