Thank you for this. I've read the book, and don't see anything that strikes a chord at the Ross Greene site. You did get me thinking about what the message was she wanted to communicate.

It was just the two of us home this evening, so I thought I'd just ask her. Very articulate child that she is, she gave me a lovely answer about being frustrated, wanting to be right, wanting to be done, etc. For what it's worth, there was probably some truth to it. While she was talking, though, her body language was very fidgety, like she had somewhere to go. I was cutting into her day-dreaming time.

She has a rich fantasy world she invents, largely based on what she is reading, mixed with her own details. She walks or swings while she does this. It goes on for hours a day. She was at it for at least 4 hours today while I was at work, and is back outside right now.

I guess I should have connected the two. New book series to day dream about? New frustrations and tantrums because she isn't there.

She's always had imaginary friends. She does well in real life with social interactions and has a number of real life acquaintances- including a "best friend".

The only cure for the current obsessive re-living of what she is reading is to introduce a new series/ book. We've been through all of Narnia, Black Cauldron, How to Train Your Dragon, and Harry Potter Series' as well as dozens of short term single books and day dreams in the last 6 months. I wish there was an awesome fantasy series about a girl who did her homework and didn't argue with her parents.

I actually had to physically take away the Harry Potter and How to Train Your Dragon books because they were such a disruption to life. She loved Hobbit, but because she doesn't seem to be able to place herself into it, it hasn't been a problem.

I guess there really isn't a resource for this, is there?

She loves non-fiction, too. I don't think I can realistically restrict her to reading only non-fiction, though. Besides, she would be stuck in Harry Potter (the current obsession) until she found a new fantasy.

Last edited by Bean; 10/04/14 03:41 PM.