Sorry to leave this thread hanging. This school year has been a challenge and for my own sanity, I had to give it a rest for awhile.

So many good points Indigo. This year I have felt very isolated from DD's school experience. Some parents in the class I do know and unfortunately to say do not really click with them myself. DD doesn't even know the names of the kids in G&T and none live in our neighborhood. None were at music classes even though we go to a prominent studio here locally. The school has over 1,000 children but most activities revolve around sports which DD is not interested in or cannot do due to effects of hypotonia.

How does your daughter feel about school, friends, etc?

She only has 1 friend this year in class. The oldest girl in the class. DD says she's the only one who is nice to her. They both took the CogAT together (even though her friend is 1 year older than DD) - no idea how the other girl did. DD missed too many and only got a 122 and we were told this score did not make the cut for math. We will not get a report until the end of the school year. No idea of what version of test or percentile. No idea if this score means we should give up and accept no acceleration of math.

DD has regressed some (mainly spelling and writing because they use iPads with auto correct!). We enrich after school as her math is way out of alignment from her MAP RIT goals from the beginning of the year. I realized, being somewhat ahead is an awful spot to be. You always get an A on the test and you never need think or spend any time. But you have to come home and take it upon yourself to learn. Sometimes it works and it's OK. Some days it doesn't go as well and you have to accept the shortcomings.

The district high ability coordinator encouraged us to speak with the principal to see what could be done for next year. When we requested a meeting, the principal will only meet with us 3 1/2 weeks from now, practically the end of school. She is new this year and has made changes to G&T. All information about the G&T program and staff has been removed from the school webpage. Unless you have been at the school for some time and know who the teachers are, you would not know the school even had G&T.

I was reading the book Losing Our Minds: Gifted Children Left Behind by Deborah Ruf. It was interesting and had so much of the same information that I've seen in the threads here over and over. It's probably been recommended by someone but I did not notice it before.

Some of the information in the book worried me. Right at the cusp of 3rd grade with little support from the district, the effect seems magnified to increasingly conform or risk ostracization. Then Losing Our Minds states that the whole of middle school is not about teaching but rather functions for socialization. What lies ahead for those who never quite fit before?

Anyway, Indigo and all others, I do thank you for taking a little of your time to read and respond. It's much appreciated and the information you've all provided along with advice from the advocacy forum has and will continue to help us.

Last edited by shifrbv; 04/11/14 08:43 AM.