Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on this. We left off at Christmas with the sub doing another DRA and telling me emphatically that DD was in the correct reading group (level L with 40 page books, large print, and no vocabulary) and being in a special pull-out class for kids with reading problems.

After Christmas, we started back up and amazingly, the first week, DD was put in the highest reading group and assessed at a level R. MAP reading test increased to 99%.

Math stagnated as nothing was taught the entire semester and DD slipped down to 90th percentile. We supplemented at home as much as possible (even learning multiplication, long division, and fractions). No measurement skills were taught at all and I was not at all sure what would be on the math portion so we just focused on those basic areas. Apparently, it was not near enough. Her chance for accelerated work in this area for next year was sabotaged by an inept instructor.

The sub has now moved onto another 2nd grade class in our school where the teacher is out on maternity leave for the rest of the semester. I have no doubt that she is doing this to another child whose classroom placement will be greatly affected by it next year.