Wow - Thanks so much for everyone's input. I never expected a first post to garner so much information and I'm grateful to everyone who has responded.

There are a few things which I now feel upon reading the responses here that may be contributing to our issues but I did not post because I was not sure about whether MAP could give "artificially high scores" and didn't want TMI out there.

This is the first MAP test DD has taken at the school so this is the starting point. I don't know if she is "test-wise" yet or not. I was surprised by her score because I didn't even know she was taking it, parents weren't informed. I just know she loves to read. She always has a book.

DD's "real" teacher went on maternity leave the 2nd week of school. Since that time, we have had a licensed "temp" teacher as the regular teacher. She is young, a recent graduate and appears to have been a regular temp at our school as well as a neighboring community school, and has been strict with following "the rules". The "real" teacher will be returning after winter break. While the temp teacher is nice and comes from a really good college, DD has not been challenged this year at all and every time this has been brought to our attention, we send an e-mail to which she responds "don't worry it will get harder". It has not.

The only accommodation that we have received is the reading group change when I was pretty adamant that with her scores she should not be reading "Splat the Cat" in class and going to remediation. My husband asked in an e-mail what the remediation was for and we were told "retired teachers like to come to the school and help out to make kids better readers". We still do not know what was being "worked on" during those sessions as DD said she just had to read with a bunch of kids who had trouble reading (hence my question of gross incompetence).

An oral DRA was done after conferences and my DD said she read a non-fiction selection all about growing peanuts . There was no writing and she said it didn't take very long. I asked if it seemed hard (any problems with words) and she said no.

The resultant e-mail I received from the teacher said my daughter didn't "understand why a character was sad" and she needed alot of work on comprehension so would move 1 level up. I had a hard time believing it and asked my DD if there was any "sadness" about the selection she read or anything her teacher talked about with her to imply such. She said no. In fact, at home we had just finished a book where it was sad for the characters because of poverty (Louis Armstrong's life as a boy) and I know she understands empathy for that situation. She reads all the time and recently started "The Lightning Thief" because of her interest in Greek mythology and she told me she loves reading it. It's rated for 5th-6th grade. The remediation stopped as well after the DRA.

My DD is one of the younger ones in the class. She just turned 7 right before school began and already alot of kids are 8 or are turning 8 soon in her class. She won't be 8 for the whole school year. She loves to read, but she can't write well at all. She is also shy and has not scored well on any of the Common Core speaking evaluations so far.

Because of her age, she still has a tendency to act "goofy" and has a preference for hanging out with younger children. We've tried to work on it, but it is a challenge. I feel this will hold her back. She excels in math (95% on the MAP) and reading (98% on MAP). But her writing score was only 90%. I feel this leads to a bad perception. Her writing is so remedial in comparison to her reading skills, I even wonder if she may have traits of dysgraphia. I just do not know at her young age if or when writing will improve to match her other cognitive abilities and I worry alot about it and whether it is an LD.

Some may ask why I haven't been down to the school to settle this. My husband is very worried about being perceived as the "problem parent" in the class and school. I feel like if I try and demand to visit the classroom now, I will be seen as "spying" because the teacher has already had some e-mail communication with us and my DD says no parents have visited this year and no volunteers were requested (perhaps because of the temp teacher). He has tried to keep it low-key and feels as long as she is getting a perfect on the tests (which she does) and the teacher refers to her as "a smart kid that we should be proud of", we should not rock the boat and risk any retaliation. DD is not upset about going to school and doesn't seem to have a bad attitude.

Inside, it bothers me a great deal to know my DD is stuck on low math and low reading (even with good test scores), but my husband does not agree. He was in a similar situation to my DD when he was young. His mother pushed for him to be accelerated and he has always maintained that it made his school years miserable. He says he had few friends, could never get a date with any girl, and being so young to graduate went on to affect him in college where he was the youngest one there too. He agrees that the work is remedial, but feels for now we should hold off.

In the meantime, I provide things at home to keep her interest up. We will wait until the regular teacher returns because we do not know what her stance will be either. MAP testing will be done again at the end of the year and like alot of you on this forum, we will see over time how it goes and make decisions as appropriate.

Once again, I do appreciate the thoughtful responses. I was not aware of being "test-wise" and all the anecdotes from others have provided a wealth of experience to draw from. This is a book, but perhaps someone else out there may find themselves in a similar situation with their child and find value in it.

Thanks again everyone.