Personally, I would not wait. I would ask for a conference with the substitute teacher and see if you can try to understand what is going on with your DD. Although the regular teacher might be easier to communicate with, I wouldn't want to lose any more time. Do they suspect a LD? Have they been clear on this? It doesn't sound like they have.

Will your DD retake the MAP in the winter? The problem is, unless she is managing to "challenge herself" enough on her own at this point, her scores may begin to drop and then they might say "See? The fall scores were just a fluke." Based on what you have written here, the instruction they are currently providing, on its own, is unlikely to keep her MAP scores up. Still, she might be doing this on her own. wink

Do you suspect a LD? If so, would you consider outside testing, as mentioned above?

My DD is young in her class, too, and had similar-range fall of 2nd grade MAP reading test scores (she had just turned 7 during the summer before 2nd grade). She IS an excellent reader, and I felt that the test was probably accurate for her. After the test, DD's school kept her in the most challenging reading group they had for 2nd grade, and DD has continued to make progress. DD also read a great deal on her own. Her start of 3rd grade MAP test score gave her a lexile range starting at over 1100. This allowed DD to stay at the same percentile range on her fall of 3rd grade MAP tests. I think her progress was partially just because she is a reader (challenges herself), but I do think the 2nd grade reading teacher did try to keep her group THINKING.

Best wishes to you and your DD! Please let us know how you are doing.