Hello all-

I've got a question about understanding the reading portion of a MAP score. I've seen plenty of people talk about having a bad day taking the MAP test. Can someone have a "good" day that gets them an artificially high score that they really shouldn't have? Maybe the score doesn't mean what it appears? Maybe a high score of 98% isn't high like a parent would think?

My DD took the MAP at the beginning of school this year. She got a 207 in reading in the 98th percentile. For second grade reading they want them going from level J-L. She was put in level K and didn't move. At conference, I saw her scores, but moreover, saw what they were reading and knew it was way too low. I demanded a reading group change to which the teacher said she would need to do a DRA which resulted in a move to level L (only 1 level) and a comment that she needed alot of work on comprehension.

I don't understand what's happening between the MAP score, DRA, and group placement. It seems like the MAP score doesn't mean anything this year. How can someone score high on the MAP but be in a lower reading group? Does MAP mean anything? Why is there such a divergence between MAP and the DRA?

I'm writing this because for the first time, I'm worried about reading. The teacher has stated my daughter is not in a high group and they were even making her go to an outside reading group for remediation which she said embarrassed her. I don't understand what is happening at the school and with all the knowledgable people on here I wanted to see what others thought. Is this gross incompetence? Or does this happen all the time? The school doesn't allow parent volunteers and doesn't send home any outside work so I didn't really know what was happening until conference. Since then I have felt very uneasy.