Sounds like they used the DRA for the comprehension.

Is your school a title 1 school? If it is you have the absolute right to volunteer. I can't imagine (other than the cost of the background checks) why title 1 school law demands that schools have home/school connection and volunteerism and then a school down the street can prohibit volunteers. If I were not welcome on campus, I would pull my son out. I think I would have to go higher up the food chain to find out the TRUE policy about volunteers.

I know my son comprehends all the books he reads. Our house is like living in a perpetual book club. My boys request that we read their favorite books and then we all have to talk about them. Sometimes the two boys are reading the same book and having in depth discussions about plot, motivation, what is to come next in the series, what they would have done differently, meanings of symbolism, etc. like other kids talk about the big game. If a teacher tells me his comprehension is low (which they did in 1st grade) I just have to chuckle. We also sometimes still read together at night...he reads one page and I read the next...and immediately discuss words, imagery, etc.

So my son reads 4th and 5th grade level selections in reading class and hopefully they work on his comprehension. Then he reads 6th, 7th and up books for pleasure. He just devours them and has absolutely no problem understanding what he is reading.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary