Originally Posted by Val
I think this characteristic of very intelligent people (not just kids) is missed in our schools and in society in general. Schools look at grades: you're not getting A+++++s with garlands, which shows that you haven't mastered this stuff and you're certainly not ready to skip ahead. I suspect this conclusion seems obvious to people who don't grok giftedness (and especially the highly-or-more gifted). frown I've seen this in the workplace, too. Admittedly, it's more complex in a job, but still, there's a problem with over-emphasis on credentials in many hiring situations.

Yeah my DD groks fractions but is slow with simple arithmetic. Similarly I was shocked at how quickly she grasped the concept of a radix to get through the last room of Lure of the Labyrinth given how slow she can seem with simple arithmetic at times. She also got the '10 kinds of people in the world.... ' binary joke too. It is amazing how my DD can go from being a super smart alien given a hard challenge to the world's first surviving brain donor when given something easy.

Become what you are