To everyone aside from indigo, thank you. I wouldn't have even thought to ask to see the actual policy. I've never had to go beyond the principal on an issue before, so this will be a first.

I would prefer pull-outs for a bunch of reasons, but one of the main ones is that I do love her current teacher and she's trying hard now to do appropriate enrichment. The main issue is that she has to teach the class phonics and basic math, and that has to be deadly boring for my DD. I'd like to have her pulled out during those times so she can work on something else while the class is doing things that are significantly below her level.

To indigo, I didn't say anything inconsistent, and I'm sorry you see it fit to point out that-- yes, dear Lord, I got divorced-- or to insinuate that I'm lying.

My daughter was in a different school district last year where they didn't know what to do and suggested she move to a school with a better gifted program if I didn't want to skip her. Before I made the move, I met with the principal of her current school. Terrific lady, and we had three separate meetings to discuss the situation, ending up deciding that subject accelerations would be the way to go. That principal then got moved to another school within the district unexpectedly at the end of the year, so she was no longer going to be my daughter's new principal this year.

I thought that would be okay, and that I'd just need to explain to the interim principal what we had agreed on. Instead, he told me he had to ask the superintendent of educational services, who said it was against district policy to do subject accelerations.

Now... what was that you were saying about my personal life and how that affects people's desire to respond to me? Really? That's what you want to do here? How about if I tell you that her dad threw me across the room when she was a baby, then stole my savings account, and I've scraped together enough for rent in various places until finally finding our "forever home" in the only nearby district known for its gifted program because I want her to have a good education? If you still want to judge me for that, go ahead.

Yes, she is a first grader TESTING on a 5th grade level in reading. As of the beginning of kindergarten, she tested on a 3rd grade level in math and hasn't been tested again, though of course she's moved up since then, so I'm being conservative when I say she's two grades above in math. Maybe it's three now.

And yes, she doesn't complain about being bored unless you ask her. What's your point? Why are you looking for ways to stir the pot when everyone else here responded with thoughtfulness and decency?