I've read along here and your other thread, and I'm confused. School wants to do grade-level acceleration and you only want subject-level acceleration but you are unhappy with the amount of subject-level acceleration they offer because it's not enough?

So this is not a case of a child needing acceleration and school not providing it, but rather a school testing the child and finding she is several grades above agemates and parent refusing the method in which they want to offer that acceleration.

As mentioned by others, if you aren't familiar with the testing done (lots of good info at hoagiesgifted about many tests) or what the results mean, it will be nearly impossible to advocate for something different than school is proposing.

One of the best tools to determine if a child needs acceleration is the Iowa Scale of Acceleration. You can order copies on Amazon. It is data driven and considers whether or not child wants acceleration. You can go through that scale to find research based evidence about which approach will best serve your child.

However, I think (like many of the others have indicated) that you are picking a futile battle in trying to dictate to the school the method they should use in teaching your daughter at an appropriate level. There is a point where a child is too far out of level to be meaningfully accommodated in the age appropriate classroom.

Last edited by HappilyMom; 10/12/13 08:52 AM.