Bummer. I would ask to see the official policy in writing.

We are also in NY and have the same story, though here they also don't allow grade skips. It depends on the district- there are plenty of threads and advice here about challenging such policy, but we gave up and concentrated on ways to make things work despite the policy (our district has a well-known and successful legal team and is notoriously hard to deal with in legal matters).

In some ways, it may give you more leverage for flexible plans on their part- if you don't allow x, what are other options to help this situation? (Unfortunately for you, if they are suggesting skipping that may be their sole answer, in which you will have to make the alternative suggestions yourself).

I would repeat the advice to look ahead as well- for us, each progressive year has gotten better and easier with more options available. Elementary was certainly the hardest- much tougher to accommodate and the chasm between our kids and the pack seemed enormous, and the whole year can hinge on one teacher. In middle school, a few elementaries come together and suddenly there are a few more kids in the neighborhood, if you know what I mean. We are looking forward to high school, where two middle schools come together, as we know there will be a few more near peers, or at least near enough. We also have some awesome non-academic things going on through school that have helped tremendously- very strong music and art programs, fantastic technology classes and computer classes, and several academic clubs/teams which are well-run and competetive (in a good way).

ETA: some teachers may be willing to bend the rules under the radar- we had teachers arrange for DD to go to a reading classroom 2 grades up in early elementary, and I am certain it was arranged between the 2 teachers, not sure if they included anyone in administration in the plan, though I suspect not. (Dd ultimately refused that plan, so there were no repercussions). We definitely got more help from the people in daily contact with our kids than from the higher-ups.

Last edited by cricket3; 10/10/13 04:23 AM. Reason: Additional thought