mommajay, I am currently in a similar situation right now with my 1st grader, as I said earlier. We don't want to grade accelerate (and since he is 2e I don't think the school would let me even if I wanted to). While the district has a subject acceleration policy (unlike yours), there is just no way to utilize it because of conflicting schedules. Testing done so far shows DS has mastered first and second grade math and should be in third, but even if we just tried to move him up one grade to second, there is no teacher who could take him at the right time. The first grade teacher is going to give him a math workbook and have him do the pages where testing shows he is weak, and then move onto the next book. I am highly skeptical of this--how much time would the classroom teacher have to teach him concepts? But I don't know what else to do at this point. The teacher seems well-intentioned but disorganized so I'm not sure how it's going to work. He is also a kid who is not complaining much, with his sunny laid-back disposition, but if asked, he says he wants to work at a higher level.