Thanks Blackcat... He has not been offcially dx with ADHD. So I couldn't even start meds yet anyway. I do think if I pushed harder and got the teachers' to do some rating scales (they did not when he was eval'ed last time because it was summer and he wasn't in school), he would be officially dx'ed. I know that the last eval they did *some* tests for it but they didn't bear out the diagnosis -I know one was a computer test (?), and there was some other assessment that he actually did really well on (shockingly) I forget the name but when I am home I'll look it up. Also, his working memory doesn't really fit the bill for it either. The tester and I talked about it and she did recommend coming back for some additional tests, getting his teachers' feedback and she would also need to do an in-school observation of him. At that point she could (and I think would) give him ADHD diagnosis. I'm sure he'd get it - especially the way the teachers were talking today. However, I am still personally not completely convinced that is really what he has; so, even with the Dx I still would wait on meds anway.

Part of what is also affecting my wanting to wait on the meds is this: my mil brought me my DH's progress reports and all of his notes home, etc from when DH was in elementary school; for the first four years or so of DH's life his report cards and notes home were filled with the exact same sort of complaints about DH's attention that I am hearing now. FIL said he wasn't concerned b/c he reports he also had the same issue when he was in elemetnatry. Both FIL and DH report that they "grew out of it" at the start of middle school (DH was even accelerated in middle school). Both went on to college and then post-graduate degrees. I chatted with the psych about this trend and she said it is certainly possible that there is just genetically delayed development of the frontal lobes. [DH also has dysgraphia and we suspect FIL does as well.] Anyway, both are fine now. And my DH does not seem to me to be an adult with ADHD at all (although muti-tasking still does not seem to be something he can not do well, LOL). MY FIL is the same - he's not a adult with ADHD. Both are organized and on the ball completely. My twin brother, however, DOES seem very ADHD as an adult and probably has been pretty severely ADHD all his life. He was very unsuccessful in school and did drop out. Presently, he is also successful n(finished school, went to trade school, and has his own business; he's actually a work-a-holic even though his whole life he was called "lazy" frown ) but just a few hours around him and he really does seem very adhd (and he is not medicated so that's why it's really obvious).

So, anyway, I want to hold off on the ADHD medicine route until I 'really know': is this somehting he'll grow out of like my DH and his grandfather? Or is this the life-long ADHD like my brother probabaly has? Both psychs (school and private) seemed very supportive of holding off on meds - especially since it si not affecting his success at school (grades) yet. But they did say they are open to whatever startegies and accommmodations I can come up with to help in the meantime. And, hey, if they are so willing to do whatever will help and support - I got to appreciate and take advantage of that!

Last edited by Irena; 11/25/13 11:19 AM.