Originally Posted by Irena
... it won't do anything else like get them into a gifted program or access to special high-level classes or anything like that... At least not to my knowledge and experience.

I *think* that it's possible what can happen in the OP's school district (because it happens with some of the gifted options here in our district) is that a student who is id'd as 2e can qualify for gifted services with lower ability and achievement test scores (in theory - as in, I've seen that in written memos re district policy). But as Irena and others have pointed out - advocating for a child who actually *is* 2e was a heck of a commitment that took literally years and a ton of energy and effort and (I don't want to call it this but it sure felt like it - ) fighting. And that was with documentation from multiple professionals and a heck of a lot of data evidence in work samples etc. I can't imagine that it would be possible (here) to go into a team meeting at school with documentation of an ADHD diagnosis from just one diagnosing professional and get much more than a 504 plan offering a quiet room and extended time on classroom and state testing.

I also can't help but wonder - if there is a dr that is routinely "easier" to get an ADHD diagnosis from (as in a fake diagnosis) and word of mouth is making that recommendation to parents... isn't the school district staff going to eventually figure out that's what's up and consequently not put trust in the diagnosis?

*OR* maybe what the OP is expecting is to get SPED services (not gifted?) as a way of accessing smaller class size? I'm not entirely clear which it is that her child would qualify for with the diagnosis?

polarbear

polarbear