Thank you all for your feedback. I have tried explaining the nature of the testing and he truly is trying, but just can't integrate the knowledge and stay focused not he task at hand b/c he is too busy thinking about Ancient Egypt, space and other such things. Basically his testing shows a marked discrepancy between his IQ and in class ability which classifies him as "underachieving". He tested at EG but ceiling a bunch of tests so the tester told me he is most likely PG. Either way, his in class ability is about 1 1/2 years above grade level. This would be fine if he was attached to the class, motivated to succeed etc. which he is not.

The G&T program is a pull out program that you have to take a variety of standardized tests and score 2-3 years above grade level (depending on the test) to get into. The G&T program would be a good fit b/c it is all small group group and focused attention on diving deeper in a subject but also does a good job "calling kids out" when they only put in 50% effort. The ADHD diagnosis would give him the same small group pull out and some 1:1 "calling out" that he desperately needs. The short version is he needs a smaller class setting that is more focused on his learning needs. Right now we don't have a school choice so I am trying to make the best of what I have. Since the G&T program won't let him in, others have said that the ADHD diagnosis will get me the same small group and individual attention that he needs.