I would not want to label my child as ADHD unless he actually had it. Have you talked to your son about the importance of doing well on the standardized tests and his regular work? In your situation, I would focus on improving his testing ability. Get practice tests, and make sure he understands that he has to "show what he knows" if he wants to get more challenging (i.e. - less boring) work at school.

I had to have a heart to heart with my kindergartener last year about paying attention in school even when it was mind-numbingly boring, and trying his best every time, because he was vastly underachieving at school. It was creating issues for him as it was prohibiting him from moving into different reading levels, and being stuck in the same level was starting to cause anxiety issues at school.

It had never occurred to him that if he answered the questions incorrectly that it would actually matter in any way. He really thought it didn't matter, and didn't want to take the time to do it correctly as it was "so easy." He was just trying to finish as quickly as possible. Once I told him that those tests were being used to determine the level of work he would receive, it made a big difference.

Last edited by momoftwins; 11/06/13 07:11 AM.