... DD did a really extensive research paper on the subject of altruism as heroic behavior less than a year later. She studied the Righteous of Nations and the Holocaust for several months at 10yo, eventually concluding that nobody really knows why some people behave so badly, and others will sacrifice everything for people they don't even know. I have to think that this interest was ultimately triggered by that situation... While she has always been OE on social justice, this changed her.

She has taken some terrible stuff and used it for good. What spirit! That's what many hope for our kids. Looks like she found this path for processing on her own, that is tremendous. I wonder how rare that may be?

... I know other parents who strategize by bringing their kids into meetings-- ... I'm issuing a caution about that practice as strategy...
Great words of wisdom. Some districts require students to attend parent-teacher conferences. As you mentioned, things may be said in this context which may negatively impact the child, while parents may feel blindsided and unempowered. (This is not the type of circumstance I was thinking of in my post after a side conversation; The conversation was about having optional, casual free-flowing discussion when it was believed the child was focused on something else and fully occupied.)