Education as a whole (there are exceptions of course) seems to have stopped being about creating thoughtful citizens and is now more about, I don't know, shallow stuff.

(soberly) Yes, it has. Taking a big step back from mainstream cultural messages is the only way that most parents ever see it for what it has become, I think.

Most parents are fully enmeshed with it, and never question the subliminal messaging re: tiger-parenting.

An enforced step out of the mainstream is, in my own opinion, a terrific blessing and gift in terms of parenting, because it does give one the opportunity to choose more thoughtfully and with greater awareness.

{By the way, for anyone that has ever wondered, this is rather what my signature line means. It's an inside family joke, but it's also a serious allegory. When you can't live in the mainstream even if you wanted to-- be that for 2E, HG+, etc.-- you live with a Howler Monkey loose in the house. Surprise! NOW what seems most important?? cool Thought so.}

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 08/30/12 09:55 AM. Reason: to add howler monkey reference

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.