Cricket2, have you read "the Dyslexic Advantage" by the Eides? they have a website related to the book as well. It's all about reframing dyslexia as its strengths and how to develop them in people/kids. There are probably some ADD books like that as well. Thomas Armstrong comes to mind.

Your DD sounds pretty sophisticated with regard to her opinions of treating ADD (a relative of mine's son did also when he was younger and now he's majoring in educational psychology at college, he's pretty passionate about it!) Is she mostly keeping away from artificial dyes, tons of preservatives, high fructose corn syrup etc.?

When I was 12 I had severe poison ivy (in bed for 2 weeks, couldn't walk, my eyes were closed shut). They gave me pain meds but I ended up refusing them because of how they made me feel. I wanted to soak in a tub and rest etc., have silence.

Maybe if you could reframe these issues with her to realize the strengths they translate to for her and what she can offer?!

That's what the Eides book is all about.

I used to have a friend who taught K and she said she saw her ADHD kids as the "hunter gatherers" who were good at staying still for short times but moving around alot, darting when needed...and the sit-still, scheduled kids as the "agriculturalists" who followed the rhythms of the season, could patiently wait, etc.