Originally Posted by polarbear
1) If you can afford a developmental optometrist evaluation and you feel relatively sure that the dr you'll see for it is credible, do that in place of her regular eye exam next year (I only say "in place of" because the eye dr that we had our dd's vision therapy through included a standard exam as part of his intake evaluation). Although it isn't true for everyone, our insurance paid for our dd's developmental optometrist evaluation and the bulk of her vision therapy - so, it's at least worth a look into.
We did have her looked at by a developmental optometrist when she was about 8 before the last set of testing. She found nothing wrong other than the slight farsightedness. Vision therapy was not recommended. I do know that our insurance will not cover anything related to vision at all, though, other than basic eye exams @ the peds office. Since it came back clear once, I'm not inclined to spend the $ on it again.

2) Try to get your dd accommodations at school based on what you know already from her previous testing. Our dd who has the associative memory challenge has recommendations for accommodations that include books on tape (including textbooks), quiet place in the classroom for testing, not graded on spelling except on spelling tests, a copy of times tables etc or calculator during math work (that's not a reading accommodation, but a lot of kids who have challenges with reading have issues with memorizing math facts), and other accommodations which I can't remember at the moment!
Books on tape might help and I've been thinking about that for home, honestly. No one would know if she read the Lord of the Flies or listened to it on tape!

The reason we haven't sought accommodations has been b/c the few we've tried haven't helped and I haven't known what else to ask for. Extra time made no difference; that was the main one we tried last year. Not being graded on spelling might, though.

3) You might be able to find a person through your local dyslexia association who could either give you advice or give your dd a dyslexia screening for much less $ than a neuropsych evaluation. Our ds had a spelling tutor many years ago who we found through our neuropsych who was "just a mom" initially but went back to school to become an educational consultant after raising her own dyslexic children. We had our dd screened for dyslexia through a retired sped teacher who now consults for our local homeschooling community.
Do you think that someone with experience testing for dyslexia would recognize it in a HG kid who is performing beyond age expectations in reading/writing?

4) Re-read the Eides' books and see what they suggest. I've got that on my own list of things to do - one of these days...
I actually haven't read their book although looking more at their website and other stuff is also on my list. Do they have more than one book or should I be able to find it just by looking for the one book they've written?

Thanks!

Last edited by Cricket2; 04/24/12 03:40 PM. Reason: messed up quote