Originally Posted by ColinsMum
- a clear sense of self: feeling empowered to make choices that will satisfy them, whether or not it's what someone else thinks they should do;

- familiarity with the process of trying, failing, trying some more, succeeding, so that that process feels normal.
You mirrored my feelings 100% with this ColinsMum, and said it so beautifully too!

I guess you could use religion, politics, and peer pressure to guide youngsters into a future social circle. �That's common. �You could do some reflection about what money and reputation mean to you so that you're ready to share that part of your beliefs with your kids. �More practically I would think that if your kids were accustomed to a lifestyle and you modeled consistency and discipline then they'll be drawn to that later. �Is that what you want to hear,? Because I feel it's probably mostly true, although I know a few friends and probably you do to who fell into a lower quality of life than what their parents left them as a legacy. �The only thing you can do is maybe fund annuity trusts and hope they're smarter than to need them?�There are no guarantees. �I think I'll just do my best while they are young and trust them more with their own life as they get older. � Wren, I love how you try to brainstorm to see if you're missing giving your kid something because they only have one childhood, one life, and one future. �Even though we all have different ideas of perfection it's nice to ask and to think about it.

ETA: I just got some books from my grandfather's library including "making people productive", granted it's a business book and not a child-raising book but maybe you could read some books like that and see if it makes you feel better. �Leadership is leadership. �If you learn it you can teach it to your babies. �That's the difference between the two jobs you posted, one's a worker and one's the head of a..

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar