Originally Posted by Wren
Anyway, just thinking about what ultimately will give our kids a leg up as they pursue their passions and provide for a lifestyle they want?
Ren
There are so many internal and external factors that contribute to one�s success and/or happiness, and I believe that many parents underestimate the influence they have on these factors. As a mother I can contribute to forming the internal factors that I believe will be important to my children�s future success and happiness. Self-motivation, self-esteem, emotional stability, positive and realistic world view, and ability to form interpersonal relationships are qualities that I would like my children to have. Many of the external factors I believe are connected to one�s cultural and social capital. This is where our understanding of what is needed to succeed in current educational system comes in and we can help our children to develop skills and knowledge so that they can be successful academically. We also have numerous ways of contributing to our children�s social capital. This may include guiding them in career selection and helping them in college selection process.
Have your read Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers?