Yes, read Outliers. His view was when you were born was a big factor for opportunities.

Though I think that as parents we can also limit our children by our worldview. My parents were European, came over after the war, my father was able to study in England as a vet and then come to Canada as a British subject. My mother came over and had to redo some of her education, do a quick study of English in order to practice in Canada. They met there.

Since they lost everything and only had their education, that was their mantra and because science was a practical and secure thing, medicine for my mother and engineering for my father, those are the things they pushed, believing they provided secure jobs. I took engineering but as an Outlier was in the right place at the right time and got a job as a research analyst at Merrill Lynch, beating out MBAs. The kind of job my parents, and as a result me, didn't know existed but fell into my lap.

I do not know what DD will choose. But I try not to limit her view on what the possibilities could be. Sometimes that is hard to do from where we are ourselves.

Ren