Originally Posted by Verona
So I tried an experiment. ...

Would the added "computer motivation" be enough for a child with an attention problem to pull himself together for a test? Is not having internal motivation part of ADHD? I had been thinking that his "not caring" attitude was a way of covering up feeling inadequate because he wasn't able to show his understanding on tests. But maybe I'm off base. . .
In the short run, especially, a higher value reinforcer can certainly change behavior in a kid with ADHD. There is even a study that shows that when the 'time to reward' is short, ADHD kids will perform as well on tasks as other kids, and they fall apart when the 'time to reward' is long.

I see ADHD as all about 'harnessing focus.' It's hard work, and makes sense to me that a kid would be willing to work extra hard for an extra good reward. What I don't know is how well a child with ADHD would get practiced at harnessing focus and and lower the amount of sheer will power. To me ADHD looks like a 'Dyspraxia' of harnessing focus. Of course all kids improve with practice, and some kids with ADHD would probably 'get the knack' and not have to put such a heroic effort in, while other kids wouldn't really progress fast enough that the increasing demands of progressing up the educational ladder would always require heroic effort.

-said the blind man reporting on the elephant
((wink))
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com