Thanks for responding, therah.

I know that having some high scores alone wouldn't disqualify him from needing an IEP, but if all his scores--IQ and achievement--are at least average/at grade level, he wouldn't need an IEP, would he? If not from his scores, how else does one tell that a child needs an IEP? (Pardon my stupid questions!)

I mean, DS6's lowest score on the IQ test was the 109 on Processing Speed. That's not indicative of a problem on its face--it's an average score. Perfectly acceptable. However, the fact that his processing speed is 42 points below his Perceptual Reasoning score might seem to be a problem! That "bottleneck," as Grinity so aptly called it, seems like it's going to cause him the very problems I'm seeing.

I don't know if it translates this way (and I certainly mean no disrespect to those with diagnosed LDs--I'm just trying to figure this out...), but it seems like a child with a 100 on the PRI and a 58 on the PS would be severely handicapped and very frustrated. Seeing that scenario mirrored at these higher numbers now makes me think that my DS is having similar sorts of problems.

Is it an official disability though? I'm guessing not, unless there's more to it than the WISC scores, something else that I haven't ID'd.

I guess I'm wondering what to ask the GT school for, what to say to the teacher about him for next year. This year isn't such a problem, since he's already got a "virtual-IEP" thanks to HSing, and I now am aware of what the problem is and I have some tools to handle it. But next year, when he's getting his math from them instead of from me...Hmmm...

Am I making too much of this?

Kriston