I didn't get to read all the responses, so sorry if this is repetitive. But, everything you described was my son exactly at that age. We went the SPD route at age 4, but the therapy didn't help him too much. I did use some of the strategies at home, and at times it helped. Others have had huge success with the therapy regardless of whether it is/was true SPD or not.

I personally think my son has significant OE rather than true SPD, but really I wouldn't think it matters what you call it if the behaviors are the same. I'm not sure if the neurology behind OE vs. SPD is any different.

My ds's pediatrician says sensory processing develops at different rates for different people and that it's part of being a child. She also says that if you take a child to an OT to get tested for SPD, he/she WILL have SPD. She's never seen a child get tested and have it ruled out. She thinks it's like taking your car to the mechanic; they'll find something wrong one way or anther. I hate to say that b/c I'm a therapist too! Personally, I think it's more that sensory issues are typical for most kids, so everyone is going to have some area in which they could improve.

My son has grown out of a lot of his sensitivites but not all. He has no really major issues though, other than being highly emotional. I really wouldn't worry, especially if he's reaching milestones on time. Since you've noticed these things, however, I would recommend reading up on SPD strategies and implementing those on your own at home. They're great for any child and should help. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Oh, just looked up at your last post. Our insurance did cover a portion of the OT, but it was still pretty expensive. I'm a speech therapist, and I work closely with OTs and have some experiencce working with kids with SPD. I have to say, I haven't see one strategy you couldn't just do yourself. Of course, it helps to have the expertise of the therapist to help you get started, but there are lots of books you can buy on the subject and lots of info online if you want to avoid the expense.