Originally Posted by Jen74
Along those lines, does anyone else find themselves in an awkward position when your kid says anything out of the ordinary? Once, at a friend's birthday party, my DD-then-not-quite 2 said, "I'm full. Can I be excused?" in completely non-little-kid articulation. One of the other moms looked at me and said, "Must be nice to be a teacher and have all that time in the summer to work with your kid." As if I drilled language development with my toddler! I never know how to respond to that stuff....

Hi Jen

I think that the only way to handle this is to name it and adress the underlying thought =

"I find that comment offensive. Is this always how you are going to react when my child does something better than yours? I want friends who can celebrate each other's children." or

there is the jokey approach: "Where is that Mom score card when I need it? Do I get to move ahead three squares?"

Then you can see how it goes from there, but be ready for either - with an all purpose: 'I feel insecure about my parenting sometimes, I really love my kid and so want to do the best I can.'

Since it's much easier to think these things up during unemotional times, practice and journal some sample conversations that might bug you and have a few responses ready.
Sounds like you'll need them!

How about: "The doctors told me that there might be some strange side effects to those drugs."
or "I think her real parents will be returning for her soon."
or "Yes, we give her candy every time she acts polite."

Actually, I don't really reccomend saying anything that you wouldn't want your DD to overhear, but having snappy comments in my mind is a comfort.

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com