I read a book on IQ testing by David Palmer called Parent's Guide to IQ Testing that was very helpful. It sounded like the IQ test was more reliable at around age 7. I also liked the way they gave examples of highly accomplished people who's IQ's weren't in the profound range, like physicist Richard Feyman. My husband and I are trying to get our school to test our son, now that he is in kindergarten. They agreed to test him for reading level with the school's reading teacher and I am now pushing for math testing but I would like the IQ and achievment tests but the school psychologist claims never to have had anyone ask her for testing for a bright child; only for learning disabilities. I think the school is trying to meet my son's needs without formal IQ testing (there is no formal gifted program) and they keep trying to claim that the individual teacher can meet the needs of the range of abilities in the class. I doubt that with 24 kids in his class and no assistant for the teacher. They are going to pull him out to work with the reading teacher and I continue to do what I can at home but it seems silly since he is in school for 6 hours.