I was one of those children in elementary school. My EF developed substantially during adolescence, but I still have issues with organization and distraction to this day. I am a patent lawyer, so much of my work is done by myself (not too many group projects), and my office is tolerant of uneven production on a day-to-day basis as long as things are getting done on a month-to-month basis. Plus I have a paralegal who keeps track of due dates for me, although I have developed a calendar/reporting system that makes it relatively easy for me to report to my supervisor each week about what I have accomplished.

Generally, I have to make very small steps toward achievements, and I take a long time to solidify habits of organization. It has been about a year and a half since I resolved that this time I was going to develop a habit of flossing every day. It was not easy, but I have managed to successfully add that to my evening routine. It would be a disaster if I tried to add four or five habits at once - one at a time, and several months to solidify, before I try the next.

You talk about supportive partners, but my biggest challenge with my husband was to get him to stop "helping" me by moving my glasses or my other stuff. I have exactly one place where I put my glasses when they are not on my face, and most of my other belongings have a similar rigidly defined home (which may or may not make any sense). There was a certain amount of yelling before we managed to reconcile our policies about objects.