DS found this book very interesting and useful (when he was in 6th grade, I think).

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/be-different-john-elder-robison/1101558806?ean=9780307884824

So much of our help has come from allies within school-- the few people who are willing to teach instead of scold, again and again, until the job is done. Are there teachers or guidance counselor or someone who DOES get it? Can you enlist their help? DS has two adults within our school whom he trusts deeply, and whom he goes to for problem-solving help during the school day as needed. Because they are colleagues to the other teachers, they can "translate" and help DS navigate the particular situations arise.

The adults in Boy Scouts and martial arts have also been extremely helpful teachers/mentors for DS. It helps to have on the spot guidance when something goes wrong (or is about to go wrong). This kid really does take a whole village.

And a ton comes from us parents. Sometimes I am worn out from explaining the world to DS and DS to the world. I keep doing it anyway.