Originally Posted by eco21268
I don't have the hang of how the posting thing works yet or I would quote you. It helps so much to have somebody to commiserate with.
In the lower right-hand corner of the gray dialog box, there are various links to click on:
Reply - Quote - Quick Reply - Quick Quote - Notify - Email Post.

If you click on the Quote option, for example, you will find the post to which you are replying copied into an edit window, prefixed by
' [ q u o t e = author ] '
and with a suffix of
' [ / q u o t e ] '.
These can "nest" quoted conversation about 4 layers deep, if I recall correctly.

You may edit to remove all but the particular snippet you are addressing with your reply.

If you wish to address more than one snippet, you can edit to enclose subsequent snippets in similar quotes.

Each quote, and/or each nested layer of conversation quoted, requires a matching set of
prefix [ q u o t e = author ]
& suffix [ / q u o t e ].
In this example the '=author' is highlighted in a different color to show that it is optional; The prefix may simply be [ q u o t e ]

Note that in each e x a m p l e in this post, spaces were added between each character in order to prevent the example from being interpreted as an actual prefix/suffix creating a quote.