Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by Bostonian
SAT scores and IQ were correlated with socioeconomic status even before there was an essay section on the SAT. Dude.

Yes. And now there's an essay section, so the correlation between IQ and SAT score is broken.
Looking at the SAT Total Group Score Report http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/research/2013/TotalGroup-2013.pdf , the correlation of household income and SAT score is similar for the three sections of the SAT, so if the correlation IQ and composite SAT score has been broken (which I doubt), it was not by adding the writing section.

I'm pretty sure I said, "It goes deeper than that, though," and then posted a link to an article that explained more in depth, so you're basically knocking down a straw man.

And even the linked article doesn't cover it entirely, because the modification to remove more obscure words from the verbal section was only announced this year. Incrementally, the SAT has been changed over time to make it less meaningful a measure of IQ. This is why Mensa dropped it as a qualifying test as of 1994.

Meanwhile, while all these changes are going on, everyone is still citing statistics of SAT/IQ correlation as of 2003.