Originally Posted by polarbear
From my perspective, the thing to do at this point is to take a deep breath and.... let it go. Focus on typing and accommodating and give your ds time and opportunities to focus on his academic strengths (science or puzzles or math or whatever they may be!).

Can I say this? Polarbear... I love you :-)

This board has given us the confidence to let the writing struggles go with DD11. And, it has been the best decision for her. She tried so hard, for so long, and she made very little improvement. She has flourished since we stopped harping on what she *can't* do and chose, instead, to focus on her strengths. We bought her an iPad and Bluetooth keyboard for school this year. It is loaded with dysgraphia-appropriate apps. The PC in her classroom has Kurzweil and Ginger (an amazing editing program!). The teacher gives instructions and it is up to her to do her work however she chooses. When she types, she AMAZES people. She is beginning to like this, lol!

With DS5, we were able to obtain an early diagnosis of learning disabilities (likely dysgraphia and/or dyslexia, based on family history). We are hoping to get ahead of the game rather than play catch-up later on. We want him to learn to read and write using a method best suited for his learning needs. He will see OT for HWT (I dread this!!) and a private tutor for Orton-Gillingham and Lindamood tutoring. I am interested to see how early intervention works. He has an older sister and two cousins to compare with, all of whom received interventions at different ages. He seems likely to be the most impaired of the group but time will tell if we can help him more by helping him early.

FWIW, there is no right answer as to how far and how long to attempt remediation. In the end, it comes down to what is right for your child. It takes a lot of confidence to 'give up'. I, like Polar Bear, have lost a lot of sleep over our decision. But, DD has NEVER looked back. She is full of confidence and a straight A student.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery