Originally Posted by polarbear
Although there are different reasons behind dysgraphia (fine motor vs visual etc), the thing that I understand to be common is that it is essentially a challenge with developing automaticity of tasks. From my perspective, the thing to do at this point is to take a deep breath and.... let it go. Focus on typing and accommodating and give your ds time and opportunities to focus on his academic strengths (science or puzzles or math or whatever they may be!).

I totally agree with this but I think I just need reassurance regarding this sometimes. So thank you! I got to this point last year and decided to force the school to get to this point as well (as you remember), i.e., let it go mostly and focus on typing and accommodating and give DS time/opportunities to focus on his academic strengths. But, like you alluded to in your post, I, at times, get a little concered that my letting go is "giving up" and also I find myself wondering - with dyslexia there is/are proven methods of successful remediation (albeit hard hard to find and expensive, etc) - why isn't there something for dysgraphia? maybe there is and I missing it.

I think the catalyst for my post/question was this year I am stopping the private OT (he'll continue to OT at school - but they will teach him cursive and typing). I want DS to do swimmming, chess club and mathansium (i.e., I want DS to start extracurriculars that he enjoys and are his passion and make him feel good about himself instead of spending yet another year in therapy focusing on his deficit that never seems to really go anywhere or get much better).

Last edited by Irena; 09/18/13 10:13 AM. Reason: changed eluded to alluded