The description of his handwriting fits dysgraphia, although I'm also not sure how old he is (?). You noted you're having him practice for 15 minutes every day - if there wasn't a challenge, I would expect you'd see improvements from that practice (unless he's still not quite developmentally ready for handwriting, in a totally neurotypical age-appropriate way :)).

He is 6 years old, and in 1st grade. I have him practice his letters, but it seems like he just does it for the sake of doing it, so, if one looks at handwriting sheets (alone), I think one may think he is fine. I was also wondering how much practice is enough.

However, when he writes words like "spots" or "spoon" or "abort mission" or something on these lines, he has a hard time with the p's (mostly), but also occasionally with b's and d's and a lot of times with 9's. I will try to teach him to visualize in his mind, and hope that sticks. He is an awesome speller when he closes his eyes and visualizes the word, and then writes it, so I am hoping this method sticks. We have done air drawing, writing on sensory stuff, making it out of random objects etc.

Proofreading works much better for him when he's typing

How long does it take for kids to learn to type ?
I will look into some online typing programs, but when I tried bbc typing mat (or something like that), he seemed pretty challenged. It was his first typing session, and so I told him it would improve with time

Same for my ds! It still takes him obvious thought to get his directions correct, very out -of-sync with what I had expected compared to his other obvious thinking abilities when he was young

Yes, same here. I don't get it -- he seems to compute rather large numbers in his head pretty well, yet seems to have issues with right/left. He also seems less co-ordinated when it comes to certain things (like catching a ball or hitting a ball). He also runs a bit slowly (than peers) -- he sometimes gets teased by the other kids, and feels horrible about that. He is very good at climbing, riding a bike, etc.

You're seeing symptoms and it's worrying you, so yes, it makes sense to get an eval. The worst thing that can happen is you might find out everything is a-ok, and really, that would be nice, wouldn't it? And if there is a challenge, it's better to find out now rather than hesitating only to find out for sure in a few years. Time is so valuable in terms of remediating and learning how to accommodate and live with a challenge for a young child. Don't hesitate to act on what your mom's instinct is telling you.

OK, I will act on this. I am wondering if I am over-thinking this, but there are too many issues (not just writing) that has me worried.

Polarbear, thanks so much. Your post has given me a lot of things to think about.