HappilyMom - I would still tweak the letter just a bit - first, I'd double-check on your school district's policy re who you go through for IEP eligibility process and 504 set-up for homeschool children - it might be your neighborhood school, but it also might be a different district contact. Who that contact is makes a difference in how you word the last paragraph in your letter.

I would take out the phrase "without serious harm" in the last sentence, 2nd paragraph. It's subjective and can be interpreted differently by different people, as well as something that most likely won't accomplish anything specific toward your long-term goals. Yes, you don't want your child harmed in anyway and yes, the classroom situation he was in was harmful - but you don't need to reiterate that here, just keep it simple. Later on, when and if you need to show that, discuss it and show the specific examples to back it up.

This is also a really nit-picky technical detail re the wording, but IEPs are meant for students who need individual instruction, and accommodations are for students who have a disability that prevents FAPE. Some students need both - so I moved the words around just a tiny bit to say the same thing you'd stated but in a slightly different way to be clear that you aren't mistaking an IEP for a 504, if that makes sense!

Originally Posted by HappilyMom
This is to inform you that as of September 16, 2013, our child, DS will be withdrawing from attendance at Elementary.

We really appreciate your efforts on behalf of my DS, educating your staff on his needs related to his disabilities. In the absence of a working IEP and appropriate accommodations for DS' disabilities in the classroom, an unacceptable situation exists where DS is unable to access the curriculum.

(Only add the third paragraph if you verify that this school staff is who you will be working with to develop an IEP/504 plan) (take out the first sentence) We look forward to continuing to work together to develop an IEP which will include an educational plan and accommodations that address DS' learning and physical needs and will allow DS to learn in a classroom environment.

The other thing I'd do is send a separate thank-you email to the school psych letting her know you're withdrawing ds to homeschool but that you appreciate her efforts on his behalf while he was enrolled.

polarbear