Interesting to hear the teacher perspective on parents signing things sent home.

But actually, I was originally referring to a 3rd grader, which is quite different from a middle schooler. Also I rarely "drop the ball" it was a one-off, the quiz went back the very next day after I looked at it, I just forgot to sign it, in part because it was a regular things for the spelling tests to come home and it suddenly stopped about 6 weeks ago, then suddenly started up again. No communication as to why from the teacher. Same with the multiplication tests. They came home a few in a row, then stopped suddenly. I found out that the teacher had switched to giving the quizzes verbally, based on a phone conversation with one parent in the class who didn't feel the written quizzes were appropriate for HER CHILD. Since she is a mathematics professor, I guess that phone call advocacy was good enough for sweeping changes for all 20 kids in the class, without informing any other parents. For me, of course, I have test data from the child study center of a famous university with EG/HG scores for my child with very explicit advice for how to best accommodate her, and which has been continuously snubbed. Because my state does not require the support of the gifted, I am out of luck.

So if a teacher values consistency and is going punish the 8-year-old child the very next day after a quiz comes home and isn't signed, on the "first offense" perhaps it would be a good example for them to set to be consisent or at least communicative with how they are doing things.

I have never, ever "screamed" at a teacher or even demanded anything from them point blank.

I agree with Dude's initial reaction to the child being punished for what the parent does, however there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it at this point.