Oh, maybe you don't need to hear another dissenting opinion ;-) but I am also in the camp where I think it is fine, and actually wonderful, that the teacher asked him not to discuss this in class. Totally concur that it would be wrong for her to ask him not to read it at all.

My 12 year old son read the series last year (at age 11) and loved it. My 11 year old daughter overheard all the hoopla about it in her class in the past few weeks and begged to read it. Knowing more about the content now, I realized it would be better for her to wait for middle school to read it, but there was SO much pressure to read it, since all the girls in her class were constantly talking about it at school. I'm sure the publicity for the movie is part of the hoopla. I caved, and she did whip right through (in the middle of Mockingjay now), but on the 2nd night, she did have nightmares (I agree--in this case, I think her giftedness may have contributed to feeling the story more intensely than might otherwise be the case), and I was annoyed at myself for succumbing to the pressure. Yes, she can read it, she could have read it years ago, but I really wish she hadn't. There are so many more appropriate and also wonderful books for her! So having a teacher who acts to mitigate peer pressure to read what would be at least controversial (some think it's fine, some don't), I think shows she is a caring and involved teacher. Kudos to her. I wish my child's teacher had attempted to reduce the discussions on the Hunger Games in the classroom!

My kids do not have those violent video games, either, and they've only seen 2 PG-13 movies, which I had researched the reviews on CommonSense Media, and they were of the more mild-type. But you are right, an awful lot of kids DO seem to be allowed to play games I wouldn't permit, and even watch rated R movies ("Bridesmaids" and "The Hangover" in 6th grade!!! Yikes). And I would hope that the teachers would discourage discussion of scenes from those movies in class, too.

It is true that we can't control what gets discussed on the playground, etc, and it can be so shocking to hear what is discussed. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm glad your son enjoyed the books, and I do understand your LARGER issue/frustration beyond this particular book/request....it can be tricky to find the right peer group for any child, and often more tricky for highly gifted children. Good luck (sincerely)! But do try to understand why lots of parents would appreciate him being discreet about the Hunger Games.